- Don’t demand that those you are supporting produce proof of the inequality they are working to resist.
- Do recognize that the shield of your privilege may blind you to the experience of others of injustice.
- Don’t offer up your relationship with a member of the marginalized group as evidence of your understanding.
- Do be open to learning and expanding your consciousness by listening more and talking less.
- Don’t see yourself as the Kevin Costner in Dances with Wolves. Or Tom Cruise in The Last Samari. You are not the savior riding to the rescue on a white horse. Do notice that you are joining a group of people who are already working to save themselves.
- Do realize the only requirement you need to enter ally-ship is a commitment to justice and human equality.